With a lot of the ideas generated on the blog here, there is a lot of material that would make a third edition more like the game I first intended to write sixteen years ago. I’d like to update some of the writing and maybe streamline the game a bit. If I do undertake the project, my goals would be.
- Leave the system in place but tie the different elements of it together more tightly. For instance, integrating stress points with social conflict.
- Improve on the writing, try to give the writing a specific atmosphere that makes it more interesting.
- Streamline the Rules section so that it reads more the way we’ve come to play. There are some things that need help. ECMs and ECCMs may be modified into a protection value for the vehicles. I wanted stealth to play a big roll in vehicle combat but it seems that players haven’t really picked up on the idea as being useful.
- Re-work the infantry rules. As they are, they require a totally different mindset to use even if functionally they are driven by the same rules. They need to be interchangeable with the main set of mechanics and easy to implement.
- Get the infantry rules to take up less space.
- Implement the Survival rules I’ve been working on.
Some optional goals.
- Re-work character generation so that it has more options for generating stats.
- It would also be nice to come up with something that would make writing the equipment and skills that a character gets faster during character generation. Then making characters would be really fast.
- I’m going to be testing out my Technobabble Monster, if I can streamline the concept, I’d like to include it.
- This was approved for a kickstarter a while back. Maybe I should pick that idea up again? It would let me pay for some new artwork and maybe a professional editor.
- I’d like to push this past the printed page by making some audio recordings and maybe videos for the system. Imagine it, no more reading through the rules. All you have to do is have someone (probably me) explain it to you in plain English.
That’s what I have in mind. What’s my timeframe? I don’t have one yet.